Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Pretty Scarf with a Crocheted Edging

I am crazy about scarves and shawls and rarely leave the house without (at least) one in tow. I collect them, make them and re-design them. They are a way to enjoy patterns and textures with individual style ... and on this cold winter day, I’m huddled inside and inspired to add some newness into my wardrobe so I’m making scarves with lavish edgings. I've lined up a row of scarf projects along the carpet to plow through and fortunately I have finished the first one and have an event tonight, so I will wear it out -- instant gratification!
"Pretty Scarf with a Crocheted Edging" was actually in my fabric pile and started as an unfinished piece of printed vintage organza from either the 50s or the 60s. The flowers and colors are romantic, so I choose a yarn for the crocheted edging in that spirit - a multi colored sock yarn in a softly blending shade. Here are the How-To-Steps:
Materials:
Printed silk organza yardage (about a 30” (76 cm) square)
Silk thread in a shade that blends with silk organza
A ball of stocking weight yarn that looks wonderful with your material (I used “Regia”, color 5264, 50g, 125 m from Schachenmayr, 75/25 wool/poly)
A small crochet hook of suitable size for the yarn you choose
Basic sewing supplies

How to:
Machine zig-zag all around the outer edge of the silk organza fabric with silk thread (or even better, hand roll the edges).

Establish a working edge by hand sewing a row of blanket stitches all around the edge with the silk thread.
Press.
Make a row of single crochet stitch, working one stitch into each blanket stitch.
(Here is a photo of the work in progress, plopped onto another one of my friends' whimsical Memphis platters.)
Then ...just add a lush crocheted edge until you have used up your ball of yarn. Choose an edging that suits your experience and timeline. I would have loved to have created something very elaborate but time and ability led me to what I did, which is to create little arches by chaining a length of 5 (the next row 6 stitches, followed by 7 stitches) of length, that I caught in place by inserting into the next loop.
Finish loose threads with a few extra stitches, clip and steam edging as needed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A beautiful scarf composed with creativity and imagination enhancing the outfit which gave so much pleasure to those lucky enough to see it. Continue with your inspiring designs which inspire and energize.

Love and thanks for all greetings. E

Jacqui said...

Always wondered how to join knitting or crochet to fabric thanks will try this as soon as I can.

http://closetclearing.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I found this blog link and love your artwork. This scarf inspired me to make my own and I just finished it tonight! I cut a piece of organza, denim colored, and followed your directions. I used Patons Kroy Sock yarn Fern Rose Jacquard and it turned out fantastic!! I can't wait to wear it to the farmers market and the South Bend Woman's Show tomorrow! Thanks again for the tutorial!
Wanda L. Mishawaka, Indiana

Nancy said...

Hi Wanda,
So delighted to read your descriptive comment! Thank you. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Here is another version that I made with a bandanna:
http://21centurydressmakers.blogspot.com/2009/03/bandanna-and-rhinestones.html
Enjoy the South Bend Show.
Cheers,
Nancy